The Berry Company, a BellSouth company and leader in the directory publishing industry, is proud to announce the First Annual Berry Company Diversity Celebration in conjunction with the national observance, Celebrate Diversity Month. The event is intended to allow employees the time to learn about the differences among their co-workers and acknowledge the wide range of diversity that exists and reaches out to everyone.
Dayton, OH (PRWEB) September 14, 2005 -- The Berry Company, a BellSouth
company and leader in the directory publishing industry, is proud to announce
the First Annual Berry Company Diversity Celebration in conjunction with the
national observance, Celebrate Diversity Month. The event is intended to allow
employees the time to learn about the differences among their co-workers and
acknowledge the wide range of diversity that exists and reaches out to everyone.
Berry officially kicked-off the celebrations company-wide in mid-August and will
continue through September.
With a firm commitment to recruiting, hiring and retaining great people, The Berry Company prides itself on a workplace that reflects a diverse culture. Barb Knisley, Employment Services Coordinator at The Berry Company, states, “We place a large focus on diversity year-round through our recruiting efforts and by creating an environment where similarities and differences are appreciated. The activities we have planned during Celebrate Diversity Month will provide an opportunity for employees to devote time and expand their awareness of the many facets of diversity that surround us, including but not limited to, age, gender, ethnicity, race, and physical ability. ”
To recognize the enrichment diversity brings to the workplace and in society, the following events will take place at Berry’s Dayton headquarters:
* Monday, September 12th – Celebrate Diversity banners will be designed by and displayed in each department. During the week of September 19th, the banners will be moved to one location to showcase the talent and creativity of employees, and to signify what can be accomplished when unique ideas and talents are blended.
* Thursday, September 15th, 12 p.m. – The Hispanic Experience: Employees representing various departments of The Berry Company will gather for lunch at El Meson Restaurant in West Carrollton, where owner, Bill Castro, will serve a special menu, discuss the Hispanic culture and give a dance lesson.
* Monday, September 19th, 12 p.m. – “Celebrating Generations in the Workplace”: Guest speaker, Mayola Taylor, HR Generalist from US Bank, will discuss the various generations in the workplace today and the attributes and differences associated with each one.
* Wednesday, September 21st, 12 p.m. – “People First - Know the Person, Not the Disability”: Guest speakers from the Ohio Rehabilitation Services Commission include Renee Greathouse, Employer Services Specialist, and Elizabeth Whelpdale, Vocational Rehabilitation Counselor. As part of the presentation, there will be a demonstration on how to communicate with hearing impaired individuals.
* Friday, September 23rd, 11:30 a.m. – 1:30 p.m. – “Culinary and Cultural Celebration - A Taste of the World”: This event will serve as the Celebrate Diversity Month finale. Seven rooms across the campus will be set up allowing employees to experience the entertainment, culture and a sampling of foods from the Asian, African, Italian, French, German, British and Hispanic cultures.
Similar activities are taking place in Berry divisions and office locations nationwide. Commenting on the proposed activities for the month, The Berry Company President, Dan Graham, said, “All Berry employees have been encouraged to get actively involved with the exciting initiatives being planned during Celebrate Diversity Month. This dedicated time will allow them the chance to explore the typical celebrations and significant life events of others. The Leadership team embraces diversity as being mission critical to our continuing success; we value the unique contributions that individuals with different ideas, backgrounds, and expressions can make, and strive to create an environment where all employees are empowered to reach their full potential.”
He continued, “Our founder, Loren M. Berry, always credited the success of the company to the fact that he surrounded himself with great people; to this day, that continues to be our belief.”
About Celebrate Diversity Month
Celebrate Diversity Month, August 15th through September 15th, was first introduced in 1996 by a diversity consulting firm, and many national organizations now embrace the observance. The Celebrate Diversity Month founders designated this time as an opportunity to celebrate the wide range of diversity through open dialogue, fostering an appreciation of the “differences that separate us as well as the similarities that unite us.” The celebration time, late summer through early fall, was chosen to represent a “new beginning”; a time when people return to workplaces and schools, energized from vacations. Additionally, since the tragedy of September 11th, 2001, Celebrate Diversity Month also serves as a tribute to the way in which our nation has persevered as a land of different people coming together, united in a similar freedom-loving belief. For more information, please visit www.celebratediversitymonth.org.
About The Berry Company
The Berry Company, a wholly owned subsidiary of BellSouth Corp., is a leader and innovator in the Yellow Pages industry. Founded in 1910, the company is responsible for over 800 directory titles nationwide, serving more than 100 U.S. telephone companies to publish and sell both online and print Yellow Pages advertising. In addition, The Berry Company has grown several distinct lines of business including Berry Network, Inc., a national Yellow Pages and Interactive Media placement agency, and Berry Sales & Marketing Solutions, a consulting group that services domestic and international directory companies.
With its headquarters in Dayton, Ohio, The Berry Company has over 2,000 employees across 41 office locations nationwide. For more information, please visit www.theberrycompany.com.
# # #
Source : http://www.prweb.com/releases/2005/9/prweb284672.htm